Monday, October 20, 2008

Kazakhstan Update Part 7 - Farewell to the Knouse's

Today I had nothing "official" on the schedule, but Sara asked if I would like to join her for lunch then later take the youngest two Knouse boys to the park in order to keep them occupied while their mom and dad packed. It was a nice day (so far, the weather has been much milder than I had expected), so I was happy to go along. The park was much bigger than I had anticipated, with a huge selection of carnival rides (similar to those found in "parking lot" carnivals in the States) and a variety of cafes and snack shops. Twelve-year-old Daniel and ten-year-old Caleb clearly maintained a certain rivalry, but managed to enjoy themselves as we rode the ferris wheel, the swings, bumper cars, and a small roller coaster. It wasn't particularly crowded, and one man typically operated more than one ride, waiting until someone showed up at the entrance before sauntering over. The hours went by quickly and we were soon back at the Knouse's house. Sara had offered to prepare dinner (hamburgers, salad, chips, etc.) for the family and for all of the guests that may show up. She explained that it is Kazakh tradition to stop by a departing family's home to offer them good wishes. It is also tradition that you have something to offer your guests when they arrive. Sure enough, neighbors and friends, some coming from a considerable distance, stopped by for the next few hours. I felt a bit uncomfortable that I was often the subject of the questions ("What year were you born?" again!), but the friendly nature of the guests quickly put me at ease. I was amazed that the Knouse's were able to pack and entertain guests at the same time. In the States, such a situation would induce much panic. For the second night in row, I went to the train station. Once again, a large crowd was present to say good-bye. I told the Knouse's that I felt a bit strange having just met them, yet being a part of such an important night in their lives. Interestingly, I was scheduled to move into their house the day after they moved out. As before, those departing waved good-bye from the windows of the massive train. It seemed that I was saying good-bye as often as I was saying hello. Tomorrow I anticipated another hello and good-bye; this time it would be with a second child that I sponsored.

No comments: